US Gambling Tax Refund

American casinos withhold 30% of your winnings but Canadian residents can file for a gambling tax refund. CIS is the longest standing US Tax Recovery service in the Niagara Region and has been getting refunds from the IRS for over 35 years.

We offer competitive flat fee pricing no matter how big or small your refund rather than percentage based fees like some online services charge, Includes correspondence with the IRS if needed and extra tax slips are available at a nominal cost.

Year round service and no appointment required. Just drop off your paperwork and we’ll do the rest!


To file a US Non-Resident Return (1040NR), you’ll need:

  • Your US gambling tax slips (Form 1042-S)
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • A certified copy of your passport (if applying for an ITIN)
  • Win/Loss Statement 

If you don’t have an ITIN, we’ll apply for a number for you and submit it with your return. If your number is inactive for 3 years, you’ll have to reapply. You must provide a certified copy of your passport from the Passport Office to apply for your ITIN.  

Once your return is filed and processed by the IRS, your refund will be issued to you directly in the form of a US Treasury check. Direct deposit is only available if you have a US bank account.

Please note fees vary for clients who also require state returns filed.